July 10, 2010

A little bit more

Kathmandu is a relatively old city, small streets and small quarters, and whenever I was in a city such us Kathmandu, I always try to go a little further and deeper into street, so I see more lifes that are closer to their past. The main streets are always the most modern, so they are less different from the rest of developed world.  Not that there is nothing worthy to shoot the main streets, but why not dig into some smaller corners?  A toruist with a camera is the best camouflage, it allows you to go to tight corders, back streets, someone's backyard or even their kitchens......most people understand, and if they are not pleased, they may ask you out (hopefully by then you have already got some images), not likely you get shouted at, or sweeper.  * Travel Photography Warning: Extra risk always get you more rewards.  Make sure what you are doing is within your own limit.  But remember, a tourist with a camera will get you a lot more tolerance and in this case, you can think less, do more. Both of these images with kids talking were taken with Canon 1Ds III +EF 85/1.2L, ISO at 200, f/6.3 1/80s, to give me enough depth of field.  I did not have a zoom mounted on my camera or situation such as this would be a little better with zoom.  However, my own experience with prime lens is that you are lmited to a fixed frame, but then you are more determined with a composition, with less hesitation. So it is really how you shoot, less on what you need to do.
And an image of a butcher.
Some careful reader may aware that I have all these posts so far around the Patan Palace. True, this is still the first morning (early morning) of my trip, but this is Nepal, plenty, plenty opportunities to shoot.  By now, I am ready to put my Canon 1Ds III and 5D II and lenses back to my LowePro Trekker backpack - my trusted backpack and one I used for almost 10 years, highly recommended - recommend that not just stay with a reputable brand, but to stay with a backpack that servces you well, use them as long as they are still useful.  I am heading back to my hotel for breakfast with other fellow photographers, through tight streets, now I will have the Panasonic GF-1 with the beautiful 20/1.7 on hand for quick snaps!

No comments: