June 24, 2010

Patan Royal Palace

Nepal, as I have and will say for many more times, is a paradise for photography. The only limitation is time.  But when you are there, presented in front of you is endless photography opportunities.  But of course, it is the religious life that makes Nepal such attractive and charm, yes, there are several world heritage sites in Kathmandu along, but the most charm is the Nepali people.  Complete nature in front of camera, well, there are some - as many other countries, ask money for picture, but in general, not an issue. So make sure you have a camera handy.  My suggestion is: try not to bring a new camera to Nepal, of course you could, but my point is to make the most out of it, birng one that you are most familiar with. There are kind of people always have a new camera for a trip, not included in my recommendation. It is not a crime for new camera for trip.
This image, took in the small square at the Patan Royal Palace, very early in the morning.  I use a Canon 5D II mounted with EF 24-105/4L IS, ISO at 200, lens setting at around 95mm, f/6.3 at 1/10s. I shot mostly manual, it is preference, but you can certainly use the "S" shutter priority mode, because this shot is about a contrast of still and motion. Using 1/10s will be able to reasonably freeze the still or near still objects while it will not over blur the moving objects, such as pigions.  The only rule in photography is that there is no rule.  My preference resulted the image such as I took.  Other's preference will result different, perhaps better than mine. But to me, photography is also about personality, I prefer to take the pictures the way I want, others do their own. My other suggestion is, you will probably just need a few good shots in each of the spot or on an object, prepare for it, take your time, don't just machine-gun shooting.
This image, a Nepali woman pray to her Hindi god, a morning routine I beleived. I spot this scene, compose the image in mind mind, adjust my Canon 5D II, still with 24-105/4L IS, carefully frame the picture and wait (repeat - WAIT) for a Nepali to come around the same spot with the color of dress to harmonize the final image.  The choice of shooting at setting around 73mm is to achieve a more natural perspective, also, I am able to stay a little further patiently wait for the image I want, and be less disturbing.
Another image of a Nepali woman doing her morning Hindu practice, shot inside the Palace area.  Restricted to tourists, but talk to the guard nicely, ask for a few minutes inside, that's what I did.  Still with 5D II, I selected a slower shutter speed to register her hand movement, rather to make this a perfectly still image. Enough for here, time to move on to other spots.

No comments: