November 13, 2010

Sarankot

"Getting to top is optional, comig down is mandatory!" says Ed Viestures, one of the most accomplished modern high attitude mountaineer who scaled all the 14 tallest peaks in the world.  And he never climbs Machapuchare, because none was allowed by the Nepali government. Suspect linked to the snow-man?  Whatever it is, the Machapuchare is a holy mountain to Nepalese, and even without clear view, I still see this a good day. And certainly there is no risk whatsoever coming up to Sarankot, not even close to the remark made by Ed Viestures, but we still have to go down in a timely fashion.  And the GF-1 on my hand (in fact, in my hand most of the time of the day) proved to be an excellent tool.
This image, with Eric in the left hand side of the picture also using his GF-1 taking picture, is the way of my descent, I have no idea what it is when coming up, but it will give you a good idea of the gentle slope and beautiful scenery.
This is another image shot at a slightly lower position, the significance for this image was to show the Nepal has came a long way and able to wire the electricity all the way up here, not really a feat or something, but this is not available years ago, so it is an improvement nevertheless.  The electronic also bring more variety of tourist business, including small inns and hotel along the tiny mountain track.  And I learned from an European tourist who is taking sunbath while I passing by the inn he stays, told me that these few days will be difficult to have clear view of Machapuchare because the harvest season just finished and many farmers burn their field to fertilize for next season, I guessed the luck in the afternoon at Phewa Lake may be a far cry.
I could always come back, I told myself and continue to descent, while getting busier with my GF-1.  This image taken at a lower attitude with the Pokhara valley more clearer in view, a beautiful town worth coming back anyway!

No comments: